Monday, January 7, 2008

Where did I get all those allergies?

The list of foods I don't tolerate is ridiculously long. And yet I had almost no allergies when I was a child. What happened?

No one really seems to know. A strong possibility is celiac disease. I've never been tested for it because the test doesn't work if you did consume gluten on a regular basis, and I've been off gluten for years. It's in wheat and a few other grains. If I eat wheat (even a single cracker), I get sleepy - so sleepy that I pretty much pass out. And the kicker with celiac is that if you have it, consuming gluten messes up your digestion, causing poor absorption of nutrients and eventually other food sensitivities.

Other possible causes of food allergy include a genetic predisposition, lack of digestive enzymes, lack of nutrients, candida, hormonal imbalance, and exposure to toxins.

Whatever causes them, I would love to find a cure. I've tried enzymes, antibiotics, probiotics, antifungals, hormones, cortisone, supplements... without success. I'd love to find a solution, but no luck so far.

0 comments: