Sunday, January 6, 2008

Can Antiperspirant cause Respiratory Sensitivity?

I'm a sensitive sort of person. Some air pollutants make my eyes water and my head ache, some cosmetics make me break out, and I have a lot of food allergies. So I am sympathetic to people who have unusual sensitivities.

Here's the story of a Swiss man who became hypersensitive to common chemicals. He blames this on aluminum in antiperspirants! When he switched to a non-aluminum containing deodorant, he recovered.

This fellow has done some research and believes that since aluminum stops sweating by closing pores, it can also dry out mucous in the respiratory tract (once absorbed through the skin). This leads to abnormal functioning that in his case resulted in sensitivity to smells and reactions to chemicals. His story is in Acrobat (PDF) format.

0 comments: