Saturday, January 19, 2008

My Anti-Aloe Rant

I get an allergic reaction when I am exposed to aloe vera. Perhaps it is not an allergy so much as salicylate intolerance, but either way, it is a pain!
  • Aloe as an ingredient in liquid supplements makes my ears ring.

  • Aloe in skin-care products makes my skin red and itchy.

  • Aloe in toilet paper - OMG! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

Ironically, aloe is often touted as good for allergies. I suspect much of that is marketing hype, although salicylates (best known as the active component of aspirin) are known to relieve inflammation.

"Natural" skin-care products usually contain aloe. It is hard to find a non-toxic shampoo (free of SLS, formaldehyde and perfume) that does not contain aloe. But my biggest gripe about aloe as an ingredient is when it is used in toilet paper. You can't tell whether it is in the paper unless you have the wrapper, which is often not the case when you are visiting someone and need to use their bathroom. If you have this problem, be sure to complain to the manufacturers. THEY SHOULD IMPRINT EACH SHEET WITH THE WORD ALOE if they insist on using it as an ingredient. I have suggested this to Charmin and Cottonelle. Please do the same.

0 comments: