Monday, May 3, 2010

Diatomaceous Earth

I've used diatomaceous earth as a barrier against bugs, but when I found out some folks I know are taking a special grade of it as a supplement, I was surprised. The only information I can find on it is from companies that sell it (like EarthworksHealth) plus one scientific study that says it can lower high blood pressure. My holistically-inclined physician found the information and says it cannot recommend it at this time.

The active ingredient appears to be silica. A traditional supplement for silica is the herb horsetail, but silica is also found in many vegetables.

On the other hand, food grade diatomaceous earth has been used in animal feed for a long time. It sounds like it is safe to put in pet food to control parasites. Just be sure to use "food grade" instead of the kind you put on your lawn.

0 comments: