Friday, March 19, 2010

Too Much Cortisol

A lab test for adrenal function shows that my adrenal glands are over-active. The doctor says they are pumping out too much cortisol and I should take vitamin B5 to support them. He believes I am under too much stress.

I looked on the popular Mercola website and found these effects listed from excess cortisol:
  • Diminished cellular utilization of glucose
  • Increased blood sugar levels
  • Decreased protein synthesis
  • Demineralization of bone that can lead to osteoporosis
... and more (see Mercola's article on adrenal function).

My doctor previously talked to me about blood sugar and the importance of avoiding glycemic overload. Mercola offers some additional tips such as having a little fat with every meal and:
  1. A small meal or snack every three to four hours
  2. Eating within the first hour upon awakening
  3. A small snack near bedtime
  4. Eating before becoming hungry.

Also worth reading: Causes of Excess Cortisol in Wikipedia.

0 comments: