Sunday, January 11, 2009

SIBO

SIBO stands for small intestine bacterial overgrowth. Sometimes the condition is called intestinal dysbiosis. Anyway, I had a 3-hour test called the H2 Breath Test and it shows I have this condition.

The doctor sent my a prescription for an antibiotic, but unfortunately it's one I'm allergic to so I've got to get a different prescription. (Obviously this gastroenterologist does not read the forms I filled out in his office. Either he's stupid or not very caring... I suspect the latter.) Meanwhile, I looked up natural treatments to consider as extra help since the prescription treatments are pretty inconsistent in their results. I've been through treatment for SIBO before, taking Flagyl, which only helped for a while.

Here's a list of some supplements that are said to help. I'll try them along with the new prescription. I started taking garlic capsules already.
  • Grapefruit seed extract
  • Garlic
  • Oregon grape root
  • Probiotics
  • Dioxychlor

2 comments:

Rite said...

How are your symptoms with herbal medications you tried ?
I have had several antibiotic courses, looking for alternatives
Cheers
Rite

Linilla said...

Most of them helped little if at all. My physician suggested a fiber supplement and I found one that I tolerate (not psyllium, which makes me cough) and it helps a little.

My chiropractor suggested two supplements which are helping: Zymex II and Disodium Phosphate. Both are by Standard Process. But of course your situation is probably different from mine.